Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Training Shift

This year my #1 goal race has been ZOOMA Half Marathon in September here on Cape Cod.  Last year belly issues kept me from claiming my place in the sub 1:50 club and this year was going to be different.  Well this past weekend out on my long run I made a very tough decision...I'm shifting my focus and using the ZOOMA Half as a training run.  There have been many things that have led me to this decision which at first all sounded like lame excuses.  Then I remembered that this is my journey and it is real.  Here is what has brought me here....

  • Belly issues out on the long run that are still plaguing me!  I have a doctor appointment today and will hopefully get more answers.  
  • Going out too hard too fast.  This June when I ran the Newport 10 Miler, I was rocking my training and had an awesome race!  I think though that I started my training for ZOOMA too soon and thus left me a little burnt and needing some down time.
  • Friggin RUNNER'S WORLD!!!  Before getting the email from Runner's World, ZOOMA was my last race of the season....but oh baby now I'm going to be in PA with the greats covering 26.2 miles in 4 days!!!  I know that I could push myself for ZOOMA but I also know me and that would leave me with very little in the tank for PA...and that is just not ok!!  (don't forget to join me in the fun and use the code bloglittlefancynancy)
So as hard as it is to make the decision, I know it is the best one for me.  I WILL get that sub 1:50 half mark my words, but right now it is about being aware of what my mind and body need.  

Have you ever had to back down from a goal?

6 comments:

  1. Belly issues totally derailed my training this past spring as I was training for a one mile race in June, but a lot of good has come from it. After my diagnosis I began to work with a holistic nutritionist and completely over hauled the way I was eating. As a result I have decided to shift my focus in my health coaching business to help other runners do the same. I now have so much more energy and am training for a one mile race in November.

    So cool about the Runners World event! That sounds like a blast and an amazing experience! Good luck with your training and I hope you get answers from your doctor apt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you figure out your belly issues! So happy to hear that you are going to the Runner's World festival! Such fun! I hope to go some year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're pretty bummed about changing your race goals, BUT Runner's World sounds awesome! I did the 10k a few years ago and I had a blast. I think it sounds like a pretty good plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ((((Hugs)))) and yet the RW thing sounds so great.
    Ive had to revamp a TON of stuff lately thanks to my back---but Ive learned so much about myself through that process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could do the Runner's World thing that sounds awesome and always looks like so much fun. I have in the past had to change up my goals too, makes us stronger in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh it is always hard to change your running plans. I feel like that's the hardest thing to do when you are having body issues. I'm having my own issues right now that forced me from a half marathon to a 5k for a weekend in September it sucks but I know I have to do what's right for my body. Runners World though SOUNDS awesome!

    ReplyDelete