Saturday, November 19, 2011

Virgin Vegetarian


Well as part of my goals for the HBBC I decided to make one day completely vegetarian.  Well last night I realized that the only vegetarian thing I know how to make is....pasta oh and grilled cheese!  Yeah not going to cut it.  I am not doing this because I don't like meat, even though there was a period of time in high school that I swore off all red meat (sorry about that Mom!).  Rather I wanted to incorporate more veggies into my diet and what better way than through a veggie day!  I also have been feeling just....off....physically and thought more veggies in my diet would help a bit.

So here is where you all come in.  I've read your blogs and seen the amazing things you eat every day!  What can I say....I have veggie envy!  Do you have any recipes that you just love?  Ones I could make and bring for lunch each day?  Any recipes that your whole family loves?  I would love to include the hubby but I would need a recipe that would leave him not missing meat.  We don't want this to happen!
 Thankfulness Day 19:  I'm thankful today for my long run.  I have been stressing lately about small stuff and the hubby had to all but throw me out the door but it was just what I needed!!!  Love that!

HBBC points today: 12.8

11 comments:

  1. Running is the best therapy, w/o a doubt! Good luck with the vegetarian approach...you can find so many great things to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of recipes that I can give you! I have been a vegetarian unofficially since birth and officially since 1997. I will email you some if you want. If you want some easy, ready made stuff, Kashi and Amy's have great meals that are meatless. And beans are your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been vegetarian for a few months. My issue is that I can't have/don't like a lot of the veggie options (mushrooms, tofu -allergic, beans -allergic, etc). So it's even harder for me. My go-to's are rice and veggies! There are a ton of good-looking bean dishes out there... I wish I could have beans! You could read "the china study" if you're interested - its about how vegetarian diets are better for all kinds of health problems (heart disease, cancer). Ultimately it's what made me go meat-less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was vegan for a while there and not a very experienced cook. I was given a great list of super EASY recipes. Email me and I'll reply with some of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on a chili fix lately! Maybe try vegetarian chili?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am useless when it comes to vegetarian recipes, but excited to hear if you find any good ones! Thinking about it, the only meat-free things we eat are pasta and quesadillas :). Maybe I need to try this veggie day thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a vegetarian for 15 years and I agree with the other comments -- beans are your friend! Also, try Boca burgers and Morningstar Farms for meat substitutes. Also, try pasta or rice with peas, broccoli, tomatoes, artichoke hearts etc.

    You can also make chili without meat and veggie soups that carry well for lunch and will last throughout the week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My best motivation for my veggie/fruit days is a trip to the local farmers. It is hard to resist fresh veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter decided in April to become a vegetarian, so I've been trying to make at least on veggie meal a week. Some have been much better than others. I have been doing lots of soups and stews featuring veggies and lots of bean burros. Polenta is another great thing that we've discovered doing this! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One thing I found helpful with eating more (or only) vegetables was to plan my menu with the veggies as the main part of the entree. The vegs have always been a side until now.

    I'll find a few of our favorite recipes and send them to you after I get home from work this evening. Emphasis on FAMILY favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog and am excited to follow another running mom! We are mostly vegetarian, and love wraps for an easy lunch: hummus and shredded carrots, cukes, avocado--my 22 mo old loves these too. Lots of great soups too... I love this one: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-squash-stew-10000001041931/ or vegetarian split pea in the crockpot, etc. Happy veggie eating!

    ReplyDelete